A great smile is more than a reflection of overall good dental health; it can impact nearly every aspect of your life, from the way you feel about yourself to the way you interact with others. When you smile easily and frequently, people around you tend to relax and respond more favorably. If you feel embarrassed or self-conscious when you smile because of discolored, crooked, chipped or unevenly spaced teeth, porcelain veneers may be an ideal option for you to achieve the straight, dazzling smile you’ve always wanted.
To learn more about veneers, please call BridgeView Dental today at 512-347-8299 to schedule a free consultation with experienced cosmetic dentist Dr. Lance Loveless. We welcome patients from throughout Austin, including West Lake Hills and Lakeway.
Please access the following sections to learn more about dental veneers:
- What are veneers?
- Benefits of porcelain veneers
- Are porcelain veneers right for me?
- How long do veneers last?
- Your dental veneers procedure
- Veneers vs. crowns
- How much do veneers cost?
- Schedule your free porcelain veneers consultation today!
Dental veneers are remarkably thin laminates that are bonded to the front surface of your teeth to give your smile a refreshed, dazzling appearance. With veneers, Dr. Loveless can correct a variety of aesthetic issues you may be experiencing, including teeth that are:
- Severely worn
- Unevenly shaped or sized
- Cracked or chipped
Veneers cover the front of your teeth, allowing them to correct a number of cosmetic problems in just a few dental appointments. During your consultation with Dr. Loveless, he will carefully examine your smile, explain all of your options and help you decide if veneers are right for you.
Porcelain veneers are an aggregate of several thin dental-ceramic layers used to recreate the natural look of teeth, while providing the resilience and strength of natural tooth enamel. Dental porcelain is often the preferred material of choice if you are looking to enhance the shape, size or color of your teeth.
You’ll enjoy a number of benefits when you choose porcelain veneers to enhance your smile, such as:
- Customizable procedure that addresses your unique needs and goals
- Beautiful, natural-looking results
- Restores strength and functionality to your teeth
- Stain resistant
- Can simultaneously correct a number of cosmetic flaws
- Durable, long-lasting results
- Minimally invasive procedure that can be completed in just a few office visits
- Improves confidence in your smile
- Helps you make your best impression in social and professional interactions
Porcelain veneers are a truly versatile cosmetic dentistry procedure, even if you have a number of problems you want to correct. Stains, gaps, chips and more can all be concealed at once.
Assuming you don’t have any significant alignment or bite issues, veneers can also provide you with straight teeth after just a few visits with Dr. Loveless, which is why veneers are often referred to as “instant orthodontics”.
Porcelain veneers are a truly versatile treatment for correcting a number of cosmetic issues, but they are not always the best solution in every situation. You may be a good candidate for porcelain veneers if you:
- Do not have gum disease or other infections
- Do not grind your teeth
- Have healthy teeth and practice good oral hygiene
If you suffer from gum disease or tooth decay, it doesn’t necessarily mean that you can’t get porcelain veneers, you may just need to correct those issues first. Dr. Loveless will assess your oral condition, determine if you are a good candidate for porcelain veneers and treat any conditions needed to restore your mouth to optimal health.
Are veneers permanent? This is one of the most common questions we hear from our patients who are considering the procedure. Although individual results vary from patient to patient, veneers can last anywhere from 1-30 years depending on how well you care for them.
Anything that can happen to a natural tooth can happen to a tooth with a veneer, including chips, cracks, cavities and gum disease, depending on how well you care for them. To ensure your veneers last as long as possible, you should:
- Maintain good oral hygiene habits: Continue to brush at least twice a day and floss regularly. Veneers don’t require any special or additional care, but your daily oral hygiene routine has a definite impact on your satisfaction with your veneers. For example, gum disease will cause your gums to recede, exposing the edge of your veneers. Tooth decay has a similar effect.
- Avoid red wine, soda, tea, coffee and other staining agents: Porcelain veneers are remarkably stain resistant, so while these drinks won’t stain them, consuming too many staining liquids and foods could stain your remaining teeth, causing them to appear noticeably different than your veneers.
- Avoid grinding your teeth: Teeth grinding is never a good habit, but bruxism is particularly damaging to wearers of porcelain veneers. The pressure caused by teeth grinding can damage your veneers. Discuss any tooth grinding habits you may have with Dr. Loveless during your consultation. He may recommend wearing a bite guard at night while you sleep to minimize any unwanted pressure on your veneers.
Your porcelain veneers are only as strong as the teeth they are adhered to, and protecting your natural teeth is essential to ensuring the longevity of your veneers.
The dental veneers process usually takes two to three visits with Dr. Loveless to complete. During your initial consultation, Dr. Loveless will assess your oral condition and determine if you are a good candidate for dental veneers, or if another dental service is more appropriate for your situation.
Once you and Dr. Loveless have agreed to proceed with the dental veneer treatment, the following general steps will likely occur:
- Each tooth being covered with a veneer will be buffed.
- A thin layer of the tooth’s enamel will be removed to make room for the veneer
- An impression of the tooth will be made
- A veneer will be molded to fit snugly against the tooth
- The veneer will be bonded to the tooth
Your veneers will look, feel and function just like natural teeth. You will be able to interact confidently with others, knowing that your radiant smile is bright and welcoming.
Different cosmetic and functionality goals require different dental solutions to achieve optimum results. Because of this, Dr. Loveless may recommend dental veneers or crowns individually or as part of a complete smile makeover. During your consultation, Dr. Loveless will work to clearly understand your unique goals and explain all of your options in detail. He will then design an individualized treatment plan that best matches your needs, budget and lifestyle.
As discussed above, porcelain veneers are used to:
- Change the color, size and shape of your teeth
- Conceal fractured or chipped teeth
- Fill gaps between teeth
Porcelain crowns are caps made of durable porcelain materials that replicate the look and feel of your natural tooth. Crowns are placed completely over a damaged or weakened tooth to:
- Protect a weakened tooth from damage or decay
- Cover aesthetic flaws
- Support a dental bridge
- Complete a dental implant
- Support a tooth with a larger filling
Choosing between dental crowns and veneers really comes down to your goals. While both procedures are desirable and effective, the two treatments have different uses. Typically, veneers are used to improve color, size, shape and spacing issues. Crowns are usually recommended in cases where there is less tooth structure due to decay, or where a tooth has had a root canal.
Lumineers are a brand of dental veneers used to correct cosmetic tooth flaws. They are thinner than other types of veneers. While Lumineers differ from traditional veneers in terms of materials and thickness, they are similar to porcelain veneers insofar as they can also make teeth appear:
- Evenly shaped
- Not gapped
- Not worn
- Not chipped or cracked
If you are seeking a dazzling, celebrity-quality smile, Lumineers may be an ideal option for you. Lumineers offer a number of advantages over traditional dental veneers. Dr. Loveless will help you determine which dental solution is best suited to achieve your individual goals.
There are a number of different factors and options related to your specific veneers treatment. You may need to correct a single damaged tooth or mask an entire row of discolored or crooked teeth. You may choose traditional porcelain veneers or Lumineers.
Because of the considerable number of variances, the cost of veneers is unique to each patient. During your free consultation, Dr. Loveless will assess your specific situation and provide an estimate based on your individualized treatment plan.
You deserve the gleaming, perfect smile of your dreams. If you are considering porcelain veneers in Austin, please contact BridgeView Dental today by completing the form on this page or calling 512-347-8299 to schedule a free consultation with Dr. Loveless. We happily welcome patients from Lakeway and West Lake Hills.