When you smile, do you feel like you’re showing off more of your gums than your teeth? If you have a “gummy smile,” Dr. Lance Loveless can help you achieve the balanced smile you want with gum recontouring treatment.
If you are unhappy with your gummy smile, please contact BridgeView Dental today online or at 512-347-8299 to schedule a consultation with Dr. Lance Loveless. We welcome patients from throughout the Austin area, including West Lake Hills and Lakeway.
How a Gum Lift Can Enhance Your Smile
In an ideal smile, the upper lip of your gums should rest just above the top of your teeth. Unfortunately, many people have excessive gum tissue covering the top of their teeth, causing the appearance of a gummy smile. Gum recontouring is a cosmetic dentistry procedure that can address a number of common complaints related to gummy smiles, such as:
- Too much exposed gum tissue when you smile
- Uneven gum line
- Bulging or excessive gum tissue surrounding the teeth
- Teeth that appear too short
When you look at what may be considered a perfect smile, it’s not just the gleaming teeth that you notice; you also see an aesthetically pleasing tooth-to-gum ratio and a symmetrical gum line. Removing this excess gum tissue exposes your teeth and creates the right proportion for your smile.
Sometimes, there are one or two teeth that have a lower gum line than the other teeth in your smile. This asymmetry can diminish the natural beauty of your smile. Correcting this issue by evening out the gum lines of these teeth can improve the entire appearance of your smile, bringing the ratio of tooth-to-gum closer to ideal.
The Gum Recontouring Process
Gum recontouring used to be done only with a scalpel and sutures. Modern technological advancements have enabled today’s gum lifts to be convenient, scalpel-free procedures.
Dr. Loveless uses a soft tissue laser to perform gum lifts. This allows your procedure to be performed with greater precision and other benefits, such as:
- Control over bleeding and swelling: The laser seals the gum tissue as it moves, reducing bleeding and protecting your gums from infection.
- Quicker recovery: Because soft tissue lasers are so precise, your surrounding tissue is unaffected. This allows faster healing and recovery. Immediately following your treatment, you may experience some tenderness, but this should subside within a few days.
- Comfort: Soft tissue lasers are gentle on your gums. Some patients undergo the treatment without any kind of pain relief.
Contact BridgeView Dental Today
You deserve a beautiful smile you can be proud of. To learn more about gum lifts, please contact Bridgeview Dental today by completing the form on this page or calling 512-347-8299 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Lance Loveless. Our state-of-the-art Austin office welcomes patients from West Lake Hills and Lakeway.