Sedation Dentistry in
An estimated 40 million Americans experience some form of dental anxiety. Don’t allow dental anxiety to keep you from getting excellent dental care. For sedation dentistry in Austin, you’ve come to the right place.
At BridgeView Dental, we understand that dental anxiety can keep you away from the dentist’s office. That is why we are proud to offer sedation dentistry to all our patients in the Austin area. Depending on your needs, we may recommend local anesthesia, general anesthesia, oral sedation or laughing gas.
Sedation dentistry uses medication to help anxious patients relax during dental treatments. It can be used for everything from invasive procedures to routine teeth cleaning. Our team is committed to making every visit as safe, comfortable and stress-free as possible.
Types of Sedation
We offer four options, depending on the severity of your anxiety and the treatment you need:
Local anesthesia can be injected or applied topically to an area before a procedure. The treatment area will become and remain numbed during the procedure, preventing you from feeling any pain. Local anesthesia usually wears off within one to two hours.
General anesthesia is a form of sedation that puts the patient to sleep for the duration of the procedure. The anesthetic is injected into your system and can last several hours, ensuring you feel no pain or discomfort. Patients who undergo general anesthesia will remain in the office while the anesthetic wears off under the supervision of our staff.
Coming in a pill or liquid, this sedation technique puts you in a deeply relaxed state. You will remain awake during your treatment, but you will not feel any pain, discomfort or anxiety. Some patients can become drowsy or groggy under oral sedation. These side effects usually wear off quickly.
This sedation method combines a breathable gas with oxygen and is delivered through a mask placed over your nose. Laughing gas helps you relax without making you feel groggy or putting you to sleep. Our dentist can easily control the amount of sedation you receive depending on your needs, and the gas wears off quickly. Unlike other sedation methods, which may take some time to leave your system, you can usually drive yourself home following your procedure.
Candidate for Sedation Dentistry
Sedation dentistry is an excellent solution for individuals who experience dental anxiety or fear, allowing them to receive necessary dental care in a relaxed and comfortable manner. Ideal candidates for sedation dentistry often include:
- Individuals with Dental Anxiety or Phobia: If the mere thought of visiting a dentist makes you nervous or anxious, you could be a suitable candidate for sedation dentistry. It helps to alleviate fears, allowing you to feel calm and relaxed during your dental procedure.
- Patients undergoing extensive or complex dental procedures: If you are scheduled for a lengthy or complex dental procedure, sedation can help make the process more comfortable and less tiring.
- Patients with a strong gag reflex or difficulty sitting still: Sedation can help control these reactions, making it easier for the dentist to perform the necessary work efficiently and effectively.
- People with special needs or certain medical conditions: For some individuals with cognitive or physical conditions, dental visits can be particularly challenging. Sedation dentistry can offer a safe, compassionate way to provide these individuals with the dental care they need.
- Patients with a low pain threshold or sensitive teeth: If you find dental procedures especially uncomfortable due to sensitive teeth or a low pain threshold, sedation dentistry can help ensure you receive treatment in a comfortable and pain-free manner.
It’s important to discuss your medical history and any medications you’re taking with Dr. Loveless, as certain conditions or drugs can impact the type of sedation that’s safe for you. Remember, sedation dentistry is about more than just relaxation – it’s about making quality dental care accessible for everyone.
Let us help you receive comfortable and stress-free care with sedation dentistry. For sedation dentistry in Austin, call our office at (512) 347-8299 today to schedule an appointment.