Veneers are a popular cosmetic dental procedure because they can correct a variety of concerns including discolored, crooked, or chipped teeth. The thin and durable laminates bond to the surface of your teeth to transform the appearance of your smile. When considering veneers, our patients throughout Austin often ask us: how long do porcelain veneers last? There are a number of factors that influence the longevity of porcelain veneers.
Caring For Your Veneers
Porcelain veneers are made of a durable and long-lasting material. Their longevity is actually largely dependent on how well you care for them. Gum disease, cavities, tooth decay, and other dental problems can impact the appearance or integrity of your veneers. To properly care for your veneers, you should develop good habits that will protect the teeth they are adhered to. Follow these tips to extend the life of your veneers:
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day: Oral hygiene is very important when it comes to caring for your teeth and veneers. Make sure that you are also flossing once daily.
- Schedule regular dental appointments: Check-ups with Dr. Loveless help ensure that your gums and teeth are healthy. During this time the condition of your veneers can also be evaluated.
- Limit your intake of beverages that are known to stain teeth: Over time, these drinks may cause a difference in color between your teeth and your stain-resistant veneers. Examples include coffee and red wine.
- Avoid misusing your teeth: Don’t use your teeth to open things and don’t chew on your fingernails or on pencils.
- Avoid grinding your teeth: Discuss any teeth grinding habits with Dr. Loveless, as he may advise you to wear a bite guard at night.
Replacing Damaged or Old Veneers
Porcelain veneers last an average of 10-15 years and potentially longer if you practice good oral hygiene. You may eventually want to replace your veneers for a number of reasons, including:
- Damage: You may need to replace a single chipped veneer or several. Chipped veneers are not very common; however, they can be replaced if it happens.
- Appearance: Veneers have progressed tremendously in their ability to look natural. Patients sometimes wish to replace older veneers that may appear flat and monochromatic with new veneers that have dimension and are more realistic. Or you may want to replace old veneers that have stained.
The replacement process is very similar to the initial process of bonding the veneers. The original veneers are carefully removed and a newly customized veneer is created and bonded to your enamel.
At BridgeView Dental, we also offer Lumineers®. In order to seamlessly adhere our porcelain veneers to your teeth, a small amount of enamel must be removed. However, Lumineers are so thin that they require only minimal preparation of the tooth, or no preparation at all. This makes the process reversible if you ever decide you no longer want veneers.
Schedule a Cosmetic Dental Consultation in Austin
Dr. Loveless is an experienced dentist who will help you discover how veneers can transform your smile. Schedule your free consultation by calling 512-347-8299. We proudly serve patients from Austin, Round Rock, and nearby areas of Texas.