With new treatments developing every year, the field of dentistry can be very complex and confusing for everyday people with no dental education or training. Because of this, many patients have a number of questions about tooth care.
At BridgeView Dental, our Austin dentists can answer all of your questions and address any concerns that you may have. To talk with an understanding and knowledgeable dental professional, call us at 512-347-8299 today.
Questions You May Need Answered
Some common questions many dental patients have include the following:
- Are dental X-rays safe? – Exposure to any type of radiation, whether from the sun or appliances in your home, can potentially damage cells and increase the risk of cancer. However, you are only exposed to a very small dose of radiation with dental X-rays, making them relatively safe.
- When should I get dental sealants? – Sealants are a plastic coating applied to the surfaces of the premolars and molars to help fight against the chance of tooth decay. Ideally, children should get these as soon as these teeth come in to protect the teeth during the cavity prone years of ages 6 to 14.
- Are whitening toothpastes effective? – All toothpastes work in a way to remove some stains and polish the surface of the tooth. Whitening toothpaste, however, can only remove surface stains and cannot remove stains deep in the tooth like professional whitening or bleaching can.
- How do I get over my fear of going to the dentist? – Between 9 percent and 15 percent of all Americans confess to having a fear of the dentist. One way you can handle this is by talking to your dentist about your fears, that way he or she can work with you to make sure you are less anxious or afraid. There are also new medications used to treat pain and anxiety that come with going to the dentist.
- Is there anything I can do to stop plaque buildup? – You can combat plaque buildup with fluoride and dental sealants.
If you have any more questions, don’t hesitate to contact an Austin dentist of BridgeView Dental today at 512-347-8299.