Cleaning and taking care of your teeth can sometimes be challenging, but it can be even more difficult with orthodontic braces. One of the most important concerns for patients wearing braces is how they can properly clean their teeth to prevent tooth decay or other dental problems. Fortunately, you can brush and care for your teeth just as you did before wearing braces by following just a few simple steps.
If you or someone you know has a concern or question about caring for your teeth while wearing braces, it is important that you speak with someone you can trust. At BridgeView Dental, our dentists are dedicated to helping patients get a confident smile they can be proud of. For more information about caring for braces or to schedule an appointment, contact an Austin dental professional today at 512-347-8299.
How to Properly Clean Teeth with Braces
Brushing your teeth with braces can seem like a challenge, but with a little practice, you can master it. Braces leave your teeth more susceptible to cavities and gum disease because they trap plaque. Some helpful tips for cleaning and taking care of your teeth with braces include the following:
- Make sure to brush in the morning, before bed, and after every meal
- Increase brushing time to three minutes at least twice a day
- Along with brushing your teeth, be sure to brush your braces to remove trapped food
- Turn toothbrush at a 45 degree angle to the gum and brush with short strokes
- Floss as much as possible. Ask your dentist about special “floss threaders” to help pull floss between the wires and brackets
With some patience you can learn to brush your teeth thoroughly so that you do not develop cavities or gingivitis simply because you have braces. For more information, contact the Austin dental professionals of BridgeView Dental today at 512-347-8299.