Comparing Manual and Electric Toothbrushes
As with most other products, the dental health industry offers a variety of different types of products for consumers looking for a product, such as a toothbrush, that definitively meets their needs. As such, toothbrushes are offered in both manual and electric forms, with the electric form often believed to be more effective in cleaning your teeth and preventing tooth decay and other oral health problems. It is important to understand the difference between these two products so you can get the toothbrush that is right for you and your needs.
If you have any questions about electric or manual toothbrushes or even the proper brushing technique, it is important to speak with a local dentist. At BridgeView Dental, our Austin dentists are committed to helping our patients achieve the smile they have always wanted. Call us today at 512-347-8299 to schedule a consultation.
Manual versus Electric
Manual toothbrushes have reportedly been around for thousands of years and give people a number of advantages. These advantages include the following:
- Cost effective and readily available. Not only do many dentists give manual toothbrushes away after a visit, but you can also find one at any drug store for negligible amount.
- Not as stressful on gums and teeth. With a manual toothbrush you can feel the amount of pressure you put on your teeth as you hold the toothbrush.
- Easy to teach kids to use manual toothbrushes. Manual toothbrushes are usually easier for children to figure out and use.
On the other hand, electric toothbrushes also have a number of advantages, such as:
- Good for people who can’t clean well with a manual toothbrush
- Useful for older adults who have limited mobility
- Some models have timers that will ensure you brush for the recommended amount of time
Depending on what you want and need for your oral health, either one of these types of toothbrushes may be best for you.
For more information about each type of toothbrush, contact an Austin dentist from BridgeView Dental today at 512-347-8299.